Operation Khaos 2009- Present
Welcome to Operationkhaos.com

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and as a result cannot view every section. If you wish to apply for membership to opK, please register and look for the application process at the top of the forums. Then follow the instructions listed within.

Thanks,

opK staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Operationkhaos.com

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, and as a result cannot view every section. If you wish to apply for membership to opK, please register and look for the application process at the top of the forums. Then follow the instructions listed within.

Thanks,

opK staff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

YLOD Fix?

+5
Somebodyshootme
PhAnToM_PhRaG
DADEdt05
Original-JC
RottenSkrog
9 posters

Go down

YLOD Fix? Empty YLOD Fix?

Post by RottenSkrog 11/16/2010, 12:38 pm

Hey guys, long time no see!

Well, I am sure you havn't seen me on the PSN in a couple of months. I have been busy as hell, checking some PC titles, and the same old.

About a month ago, i fired the ol' PS3 up and stepped away. I heard the bastard beep and when I came back the red power light was flashing. I turned it on again, and it displayed a notification about the power turning off with an in-proper shut down. Before I could finish reading the notification, it beeped and shut it's self off. Now if I hit the power it attempts to start, beeps, displays a yellow light where the power light is, and turns off. I can't even eject the disc in the system. I believe this is the wonderful YLOD everyone loves so much^^

I have a 80g, Fatty. I believe 2nd or 3rd commercial system released. I specificly remember Devin had some insight into possibly doing a self fix. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can for the time being, so any advice would be appreciated.
RottenSkrog
RottenSkrog
opK post Vet
opK post Vet

Humor : Um. . . What?

Back to top Go down

YLOD Fix? Empty Re: YLOD Fix?

Post by Original-JC 11/16/2010, 12:58 pm

yes i do believe somewhere i heard a fix for it, ill see what i can find, but if some else knows it beat me to it lol,

BTW... WHAT UP ROTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
Original-JC
Original-JC
opK Founder
opK Founder

Humor : SOCOM, NHL 11

http://www.operationkhaos.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DADEdt05 11/16/2010, 1:02 pm

Yo yo Rott, I had that happen to me , had to send it off to sony, But there might be some vids on youtube to get that fixed on your own , Other wise its $50 TO SONY .

DADEdt05
DADEdt05
opK Founder
opK Founder

Humor : Socom,GOW,Maddden Kill Or be Killed

http://www.OperationKhaos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PhAnToM_PhRaG 11/16/2010, 1:24 pm

Yeah a buddy of mine fixed his but it wouldn't last very long after a couple fixes he ended up fixing it and trading it in at gamestop on a slim at the time they had some special offer on trade ins and he got one cheap. I think sony is doing something on trading in broken fattys on slims right now.
PhAnToM_PhRaG
PhAnToM_PhRaG
Admin/Leader
Admin/Leader

Humor : The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Back to top Go down

Post by Somebodyshootme 11/16/2010, 3:59 pm

If you end up fixing it outside of Sony, I suggest backing up everything on your hard drive, because you are not able to transfer any HDD from one PS3 to another. It will automatically format it. Had to start from scratch when I got my YLOD. . . Hope something works out for you buddy.
Somebodyshootme
Somebodyshootme
opK Sr Member
opK Sr Member

Humor : Funny like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest

Back to top Go down

Post by opK Heaton 11/17/2010, 2:16 am

My buddy fixed his by following the videos on youtube but it only lasted another month after he did it.
opK Heaton
opK Heaton
Wii Leader

Humor : They say laughter's the best medicine but I think it causes cancer!

Back to top Go down

Post by opK Heaton 11/17/2010, 2:18 am

But hell a months better than nothing right.
opK Heaton
opK Heaton
Wii Leader

Humor : They say laughter's the best medicine but I think it causes cancer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin93 11/17/2010, 5:56 pm

What you need to do, assuming it YLODed from overheating, is reflow the motherboard. It is simple enough to do as long as you have the patience and the right tools.

We fixed my brothers using this method, we followed a youtube tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

Follow this guys videos. That exactly what we did. At about 55 seconds into the video he gives you a list of materials you need.

After you do all the steps and reassemble the console, make sure you have an external hard drive or thumb drive to do a system back-up or simply grab the save files you need just in case the system fails again.

The only mistake we made was upon reassembly. We forgot to plug in the usb ports to the motherboard so we had to disassemble the whole thing again and in the process of that 2nd disassembly we broke something, lol. So just go real slow and do it step by step.
Devin93
Devin93
opK Founder
opK Founder

Humor : Killzone 3, SOCOM 4

Back to top Go down

Post by RottenSkrog 11/18/2010, 10:38 am

Yeah snooping around, I did notice alot of people using the heat-flow method did not have lasting resaults, so I will probably ignore that method. I found a pressure fix that i may give a go. There are not alot of resaults from this method, but the few there are, they seem to last awhile (going on a year +).

Dade, $50.00 to fix your YLOD? Is that a deductable after an extended warrenty? or is that what Sony is charging for a fix? or is that just the cost for a warrenty? I was under the impression it would cost $100.00-$150.00 from Sony. Either way I believe they would take forever and probably send me a refurbished model, keeping my original.

I think there is a Local Place that may fix YLOD as well. Good company and I never feel bad for spending money there^^ But I'll have to talk to them about it, and see what they have for options for me as well.
RottenSkrog
RottenSkrog
opK post Vet
opK post Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin93 11/18/2010, 6:43 pm

From what I heard Sony charges $150. They give you a refurbished model using the same fix, reflowing the motherboard. If your game is trapped inside, you do not get it back. If you have saved data on ps3 harddrive you do not get it back. At that point I would just buy a new PS3.
Devin93
Devin93
opK Founder
opK Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RottenSkrog 2/21/2011, 4:39 pm

I finaly tore the son of a B!&*h apart. no hope for pressure, heat-flow, or any other fix for that matter. The Mobo was warped, blistered, and burnt around the GPU, Processor, and USB leads. I was able to get paid for parts, trade in on some games and a ps2, and haggling got my an aditional $50.00 off of a move bundle because they did not have the GT5 one for me LOL. After taxes I paid $280ish for a "Move ps3 Bundle".
I guess Ill see you guys online sometime.

Thanks for the help as well. though fixing didnt work, it was still worth a shot to avoid dropping the cash i did to get on with the exclusives on this system.
RottenSkrog
RottenSkrog
opK post Vet
opK post Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus_GOD 2/21/2011, 5:16 pm

and friend of mine let it fix by someone it is still going and that is 8 months ago
Brutus_GOD
Brutus_GOD
opK post Vet
opK post Vet

Humor : Battlefield 3, Gears Of War 3,Final Fantasy 13-2,Resident Evil Operation Racoon City

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin93 2/22/2011, 12:31 am

RottenSkrog wrote: I finaly tore the son of a B!&*h apart. no hope for pressure, heat-flow, or any other fix for that matter. The Mobo was warped, blistered, and burnt around the GPU, Processor, and USB leads. I was able to get paid for parts, trade in on some games and a ps2, and haggling got my an aditional $50.00 off of a move bundle because they did not have the GT5 one for me LOL. After taxes I paid $280ish for a "Move ps3 Bundle".
I guess Ill see you guys online sometime.

Thanks for the help as well. though fixing didnt work, it was still worth a shot to avoid dropping the cash i did to get on with the exclusives on this system.

That's awesome rott. Let us know how that move is! You may be one of the first to have gotten it on these forums. I've been wanting to get it myself.
Devin93
Devin93
opK Founder
opK Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Schwarzvald 2/22/2011, 9:32 am

For those who don't know, opening up the PS3 for any reason voids the warranty. Though that's not really an issue here.

I'd have cleaned up my PS3 as best as possible, removing all dust from the entire system and polishing it up a bit. Then I'd have taken it to a big retailer like Walmart and looked for a new system that was the exact model as my old one.

After that I'd buy it and take it to the car, there I'd swap out my broken model for the new one, placing the broken one inside the new model's box. I'd go home and hook up the new one and then a few hours later I'd drive back to the store and say that the system I just bought didn't work. I'd push for a refund on it and try to get my money back.

This is where I say I'm only joking, though it's a viable option to those who lack the funds in this economy. Believe me, Walmart can cover the $280 that it would have normally cost.
Schwarzvald
Schwarzvald
Can't stop Posting
Can't stop Posting

Humor : Killzone 3

Back to top Go down

Post by DADEdt05 2/22/2011, 9:55 am

RottenSkrog wrote:Yeah snooping around, I did notice alot of people using the heat-flow method did not have lasting resaults, so I will probably ignore that method. I found a pressure fix that i may give a go. There are not alot of resaults from this method, but the few there are, they seem to last awhile (going on a year +).

Dade, $50.00 to fix your YLOD? Is that a deductable after an extended warrenty? or is that what Sony is charging for a fix? or is that just the cost for a warrenty? I was under the impression it would cost $100.00-$150.00 from Sony. Either way I believe they would take forever and probably send me a refurbished model, keeping my original.

I think there is a Local Place that may fix YLOD as well. Good company and I never feel bad for spending money there^^ But I'll have to talk to them about it, and see what they have for options for me as well.

Not sure what sony is charging today , I was charged 50 bucks and it took 14 days to get my ps3 back and no refurb.
DADEdt05
DADEdt05
opK Founder
opK Founder

Humor : Socom,GOW,Maddden Kill Or be Killed

http://www.OperationKhaos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin93 2/22/2011, 4:38 pm

Schwarzvald wrote:For those who don't know, opening up the PS3 for any reason voids the warranty. Though that's not really an issue here.

I'd have cleaned up my PS3 as best as possible, removing all dust from the entire system and polishing it up a bit. Then I'd have taken it to a big retailer like Walmart and looked for a new system that was the exact model as my old one.

After that I'd buy it and take it to the car, there I'd swap out my broken model for the new one, placing the broken one inside the new model's box. I'd go home and hook up the new one and then a few hours later I'd drive back to the store and say that the system I just bought didn't work. I'd push for a refund on it and try to get my money back.

This is where I say I'm only joking, though it's a viable option to those who lack the funds in this economy. Believe me, Walmart can cover the $280 that it would have normally cost.

I hear ya, you gotta do what you gotta do. Walmart is the biggest freakin company in the world, lol. Too bad they don't sell the fattys anymore, otherwise it would work for me.
Devin93
Devin93
opK Founder
opK Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down